1 cup Sea Island White Flint Corn Grits
½ LI Cheese Pumpkin, de-seeded, peel removed & cut into 1” cubes
2-1/2 cups water
1 can coconut milk
1 t. salt
2 Carrots, small dice
1 onion, chopped
1 t. fresh minced ginger
1/8 t. cinnamon
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup maple syrup
2 Tbs. chopped parsley
¼ cup toasted slivered almonds (optional)
1) In a small pot, bring water, coconut milk, and salt to a boil. Slowly stir grits into boiling mixture. Bring back to boil and then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cinnamon and parsley when finished.
2) Meanwhile, lay out pumpkin cubes on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and greased with coconut oil. Sprinkle with salt. Cover with another piece of parchment paper and roast in 450* oven for 20-30 minutes until soft. Remove from oven.
3) In cast iron pan, saute the onions and carrots with a little salt until soft. Add the ginger and cook another 5 minutes. Add onions and carrots to cooked grits.
4) Wipe out pan and add apple cider vinegar and maple syrup. Add the cooked pumpkin to this and let simmer until the pumpkin absorbs the sauce.
5) Place grits in bowl, and spoon out pumpkin on top and in center. Garnish with more parsley. Add slivered almonds if desired.