What to do when you have ten ears of corn left over after a party? Make Corn Chowder!
Most corn chowders have a chicken base and bacon for flavoring, as well as cream and butter added to the broth. I wanted to create a corn chowder that was less fattening and free of dairy. It came out so great that I wanted to share it with all of you!
Recipe: Vegan Corn Chowder
- 10 ears cooked corn
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 Tbs chopped garlic
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- Olive oil for sautéing
- 12 potatoes (2″ size) cubed
- 2 Tbs chopped parsley
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 Tbs flour
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- 3 t. Salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- croutons for garnish
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Remove corn kernels from the cobs, and reserve.
- Place the cobs in a large stock post with 20 cups of filtered water with 2 tsp of salt and 1 bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, then add the potatoes to the pot and simmer for 20 minutes, until potatoes are soft.
- Meanwhile, sauté the onion in a heavy skillet for 5 minutes. Add the celery, garlic and carrots and cook another 5 minutes. Add the peppers and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the corn kernels and continue sautéing for 5 more minutes.
- Remove corn cobs and bay leaf from soup pot. Purée 1/2 of the potatoes in pot, either by inserting an immersion blender into the pot and puréeing it partially, or by removing 2 cups worth of potatoes and blending in a food processor.
- Add the sautéed veggies to the soup base. Add remaining tsp of salt, white pepper, nutmeg, and red pepper flakes.
- Add coconut oil to the saute pan, then make a roux by whisking the flour into the oil until combined.
- Add 2 cups of soup broth to roux mixture, continuing to whisk constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add the coconut milk to the roux mixture, whisking constantly until blended.
- Add the roux mixture back into the soup pot.
- Continue cooking soup for 30 more minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking on the bottom of the pot, until thickened.
- Serve in bowls with croutons and parsley as garnish.
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: Reduced fat, Dairy free