This week I have been on the Cape with my sister, brother in-law and husband.
The first night we were there, my sister, who is also a great cook, put together this beautiful Thai Grilled Shrimp Salad. It was delicious, but I couldn’t help wondering how it would be if I substituted tofu for the marinated shrimp. When I get back to NY, I’m going to do that, and I’ll let you all know how it is. In the meantime, check out the recipe below for Thai Grilled Shrimp Salad.
Recipe: Thai Grilled Shrimp Salad
- 1 ½ lb large raw shrimp; peeled and deveined, tails intact
- zest of one lime
- ½ fresh red Thai chili, seeded and chopped
- 1 Tbs olive oil
Salad and garnish:
- 1 ripe but firm mango, cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into long threads
- 4” piece of cucumber, peeled and julienned or sliced
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- sprigs of fresh mint
- sprigs of fresh cilantro
- 3 Tbs roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 4 large shallots, thinly sliced, deep fried until crispy
- salad greens
- 1 large clove garlic chopped
- 2 – 3 tsp confectioners sugar
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 Tbs fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 fresh red Thai chili, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- Marinate the shrimp 30 – 40 minutes. Grill or saute.
- Combine salad (greens, mango, carrots and cukes). Toss with half the dressing and plate.
- Top with mint and cilantro, shrimp, peanuts, rest of dressing and then shallots.
- Serve with extra mint and cilantro if any.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Also try serving this salad without the shrimp, using the crispy fried shallots and peanuts for a beautiful garnish!