The colors coming out my garden this summer are so amazing! I never knew there were so many different varieties of tomatoes, and the colors and flavors add a uniqueness to this dish.
The eggplants in my organic garden are not ready for harvesting yet, so watch for this recipe again later in the summer, when the eggplants will add a beautiful purple to this dish. I used three different squashes in this recipe, including Crooked Neck Yellow Summer Squash, Success Yellow Straight Neck, and Dark Green Zucchini. I ordered the seeds for a number of my heirloom tomatoes, squashes and peppers from Turtle Tree Biodynamic Seeds, and I have had a great harvest this year!
Recipe: Summer Squash Ratatouille
- 1 ½ large onion, diced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 carrots, diced
- ½ yellow peppers
- ½ red peppers
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 yellow summer squash
- 1 large or 2 small zucchinis
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 Tbs. chopped garlic
- 1 Tbs. chopped dill
- 1 Tbs. chopped parsley
- 5 large red heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 5 yellow heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 2 orange heiloom tomatoes, chopped
- 1 t. salt
- 1/3 cup Basil, chopped
- ½ t. red pepper flakes
- 1 t. dried tarragon
- 2 Tbs. white balsamic vinegar
- In a heavy stock pot, sauté the onions in ¼ cup of olive oil until translucent. Add the carrots, and continue sautéing for 5 more minutes.
- Add the peppers, squash and zucchini, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the garlic, parsley, and dill.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Add the basil, salt, red pepper, tarragon and balsamic vinegar.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, allowing all of the flavors to meld together.