Butternut Squash Coconut Curry
To serve 6 to 8
1 Tbs. coconut oil
2 medium size butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1” wedges
1 teaspoon, finely chopped fresh ginger root
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1 onion, sliced into crescent moons
1 cup finely chopped potatoes
2 cayenne peppers
1 long Jamaican green pepper
1 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoon ginger powder
½ t. coriander
2 t. cardamom
2 t. cumin
½ t. turmeric
½ t. Garam Masala
1 Tbs. fresh coriander (cilantro) plus more for garnish
1 can coconut milk
¼ t. cayenne pepper (optional for spiciness)
- In a heavy stainless steel pot, sauté the onions in coconut oil with the fresh garlic and ginger for a few minutes.
- Add the butternut squash, peppers, potatoes and all of the spices, except the Garam Masala, and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Then add the water, bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Stir well and cover. Let the pot simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, not letting the bottom stick.
- Add the coconut milk, Garam Masala and fresh coriander, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Taste and adjust spices to your liking.
- Garnish with more fresh coriander
- Serve with Basmati Rice or Rice Noodles